URI_Open is the guest wireless network. It is provided primarily for URI guests who do not have URI credentials and cannot connect to the URI_Secure network, but is also used to help URI faculty, staff, and students connect to URI_Secure. Each time you connect to URI_Open, you will be prompted to select your affiliation with URI. Selecting I am a Student or I work at URI begins the migration to URI_Secure. Selecting I am a Guest loads the guest login, allowing guests to remain on URI_Open. Guest access is unencrypted and has limitations.
Two levels of service are provided for guests:
- Authenticated Access should be used by users who have contacted the Help Desk and have been granted a guest account (username and password). Authenticated access can be provisioned with several different sets of limitations. The default is Basic Authenticated Access, which is described below.
- Restricted Guest Access offers only web access (HTTP,HTTPS), does not allow access to URI resources (eCampus, sakai, uri.edu), and is only available between 8AM and 10PM daily. This should be used only by guests.
Terms of Service for Guest Wireless Users
This network is the property of The University of Rhode Island and may be accessed only by authorized guests of URI.
Unauthorized use of this network is strictly prohibited and subject to criminal prosecution.
The data you send and receive over this network is not encrypted and may be viewed or intercepted by others. Use this network at your own risk. Privacy and security safeguards are the user’s responsibility; this network does not provide any. URI does not warrant or represent that this service will be uninterrupted, error-free, or secure. Users should be aware that there are security, privacy, and confidentiality risks inherent in wireless communications and technology.
The University may monitor any activity or retrieve any information transmitted through this network to ensure compliance with federal, state and local law. By accessing and using this network, you are consenting to such monitoring and information retrieval by URI. Users should have no general expectation of privacy or confidentiality when using this network.
Connecting to this network constitutes agreement with the above terms and with URI’s Acceptable Use Policy.
- TCP Port 80 (HTTP)
- TCP PORT 443 (HTTPS)
Basic Authenticated Access
- TCP Port 22 (SSH)
- TCP Port 80 (HTTP)
- TCP Port 443 (HTTPS)
- TCP Port 143 (IMAP)
- TCP Port 993 (IMAPS)
- TCP Port 585 (IMAP4-SSL)
- TCP Port 110 (POP3)
- TCP Port 995 (POP3S)
- TCP Port 500 (VPN)
- UDP Port 500 (VPN)
- TCP Port 1723 (VPN)
- UDP Port 1723 (VPN)
- UDP Port 4500 (VPN)
- UDP Port 10000 (VPN)
If additional internet resources are required, contact the helpdesk (email@example.com or 874-4357(HELP)) and request Elevated Guest Access.
Apart from allowing certain ports to access the internet, there are a few more limitations associated with the open network.
- There is a per-user 512kb/s bandwidth cap upstream and downstream.
- The Restricted Guest Access is only available between 8AM and 10PM.
- The Restricted Guest Access cannot access URI resources (eCampus, sakai, uri.edu).