- XpressConnect for Linux only supports Ubuntu 9.04 and up. Other Linux distributions will have to configure wireless manually.
- Ensure that a Java JRE and compatible browser plugin is installed (e.g., openjdk-6-jre and icedtea6-plugin).
Search “java” in the Ubuntu software center application if you need to install them. The relevant packages
are “OpenJDK Java 6 Runtime” and “IcedTea Java Plugin”.
- Connect to the URI_Open wireless network and navigate to http://safeconnect.uri.edu:8008/html/xpc/index.html.
- Check I accept the terms of the End-User License and click Start.
- When the Java applet confirmation dialog box appears, click Run.
- When prompted, enter your URI Credentials, then press Continue.
- The XpressConnect applet will attempt to configure NetworkManager, including adding your credentials to your keyring.
- If an Allow access keyring prompt appears, click Always Allow so NetworkManger will have access to this password.