- First time users should connect to the URI_Open network.
- Open a web browser and go to wifi.uri.edu.
- Students, Staff: click Students, Staff: Login to configure Wireless.
- You will need valid URI Credentials.
- Follow the directions given on wifi.uri.edu
- When the configuration succeeds, you should be able to connect to URI_Secure
- This is a one time process. In the future, you may connect directly to URI_Secure.
- Contact the Help Desk at email@example.com or (401)-874-4357.
- Operating system specific directions:
URI broadcasts the following wireless networks:
- URI_Secure: Secure network with full internet access.
- Requires URI Credentials to login.
- First time users should connect to the URI_Open network before attempting to connect to URI_Secure.
- URI_Open: Open network with limited internet access (web, vpn, etc). This network is intended to be used by guests, but is also provided to help transition faculty, staff, and students to URI_Secure. If you have connected to URI_Secure, you should not need to connect to URI_Open again.
URI_Secure is a WPA2-Enterprise secured network provided for URI faculty, staff, students, and guests. It provides better security than URI_Open.
An “open” network (e.g. URI_Open) transmits data in clear text, potentially allowing attackers to obtain sensitive data. URI_Secure reduces this possibility by requiring users to authenticate and using enterprise-grade WPA2 AES encryption to secure over-the-air communications. This provides a level of privacy similar to a wired network, however despite the name URI_Secure, there are known vulnerabilities inherent to wireless networks; the possibilities of malware infection, data theft, et cetera. still exist. Although an effort is made to mitigate these risks, appropriate security precautions should always be taken when connecting to any network. By connecting to this network, you acknowledge that you understand the associated security risks.
The URI_Open network is available to devices that require internet access but are unable URI_Secure. There are limitations on this network; only certain services are allowed »More Information.:
- Web browsing (HTTP and HTTPS)
- Remote access (VPN and SSH)
- Email (IMAP, POP, SMTP)
The data you send and receive over this network is not encrypted and may be viewed or intercepted by others. Use this network at your own risk. Privacy and security safeguards are the user’s responsibility; this network does not provide any. URI does not warrant or represent that this service will be uninterrupted, error-free, or secure. Users should be aware that there are security, privacy, and confidentiality risks inherent in wireless communications and technology. »More Information.
There are two ways to connect to URI_Open: Authenticated Access and Restricted Guest Access.
- Authenticated Access should be used by users who have contacted the Help Desk and have been granted a guest account (username and password). If needed, it is possible to lift certain limitations by contacting the Help Desk.
- Restricted Guest Access does not require any authentication, but imposes restrictions on internet access. Restricted guest access is bandwidth-limited, only available between 8AM and 10PM, allows only web access (HTTP,HTTPS) and does not allow access to URI resources (eCampus, sakai, uri.edu). »More Information.