VPN is a secure way of connecting to URI resources or the internet from remote locations such as when working from home or traveling. When connected to the VPN, your computer will appear as though it is connected directly to the URI network, giving you secure access to resources hosted at URI. It is particularly useful when working from open public networks, such as in a cafe. You should use VPN if:
- You work from home or another remote location. Using VPN is preferred over enabling direct remote access to workstations.
- You are traveling and will need secure access to ecampus, URI mail, etc. (See our Travel Guidelines)
While connected to the VPN, your internet traffic will travel over an encrypted connection to URI before being sent to its final destination.
Getting VPN Access
URI provides two levels of VPN access: Full and VPN Web portal. Full access allows unrestricted access to internal URI resources and the internet while VPN Web portal access provides students with access to any external websites and a select few internal websites.
Full VPN access is available for:
- URI staff
- URI students studying abroad
- Consultants with a staff sponsor. Access should be requested by the sponsoring staff member and include scope of access and expiration time.
Full Access to the VPN is granted by request only. To request access, please fill out the VPN Request Form. After submitting the request form, you will be contacted by the Information Security Office to schedule a pickup of your SecurID tokens.
VPN Web Portal
VPN Web portal is provided to all URI students with no request necessary. Unlike the Full VPN Access, VPN Web portal will not allow access to internal URI resources. This is intended for students abroad who need to access websites that would otherwise be blocked. In addition to allowing secure access to the internet through URI, Limited access allows access to public URI websites including eCampus and Sakai.
Using the VPN
To get started using Clientless VPN, which runs in your web browser and requires no configuration, use the following links. If you are using Full Access with a SecurID token, read the login instructions first.
- VPN Web Portal Access: https://vpn.uri.edu/limited.
- login with your eCampus username and Sakai password.
- Full Access: https://vpn.uri.edu/URI.
- Login with your eCampus username and SecurID token.
- Click here for directions
For full setup instructions, see the page for your operating system: